Thursday 14 March 2013

More Peaks escapades...

Meanwhile, somewhere in the Peak District....

Tuesday proved to be an interesting if fruitless day. It started by being greeted by a pack of school kids in the canteen queueing for breakfast all dressed in their onesies! We had pink ones, rabbits, zebras, tigers, action men and skull and crossbones (yes the boys gave the girls a run for their money!)

The weather put a dampner on most of the day - walking where the only view is the inside of a cloud is not my idea of fun, esp when on my own and planning to head up Kinder. Decided to wander into Edale instead, mooch about a bit (there's not that much to see if you're not heading out or into a pub), then back to the hostel to (yes, I Know...) do some work on a presentation for that Friday.

Weds dawned and on looking out the window was pleasantly surprised to see across the valley and (bonus) blue sky appearing in places. Yes! This was going to be a good day.

As I was headed home I checked out of the hostel and drove round to Castleton to leave the car, and check out the weather on the way.

From Castleton I walked up onto Lose Hill and then turned SW towards Mam Tor. The further I got the better the weather became. By the time I'd crossed Back Tor it was time to get the camera out.
left to right: Hollins Cross to Back Tor showing Edale Valley
The sunshine brought all the closet walkers out for the day - it was great to walk with the sun on the face and recharge the batteries.

As I neared the summit of Mam Tor I could see a few parapente's out enjoying the weather. At first I could only see a couple, but as I walked round the Castleton every time I looked up there seemed to be another chute in the pack - must be breeding. By the time I reached the end of Cave Dale there were 7!
View from top of Mam Tor back the way I walked
Start of Cave Dale
Peverill Castle above the end of Cave Dale
Finally, it was time to wish the Peaks farewell and head back to reality... oh well, til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment